Since 1893, SIM's motto has been "By Prayer." By prayer, SIM and its many ministries have seen God do amazing and marvelous things—thousands of new churches planted, millions coming to faith in Jesus Christ and growing as His disciples, and communities all over the world transformed by God's grace.
People often think of prayer as something we do before we begin ministry. However, we believe that prayer is a ministry by itself. Our vision and hearts' desire is to ultimately see many thousands of churches in Africa, Asia, and South America using the platform of sports to touch millions of lives with the love of Jesus Christ.
Download the App, then select Sports Friends in ‘My Tracks’ to receive a prayer request each day Monday - Friday.
• Praise God for one player who has started going to church with us!
• Praise God for ongoing interests in what Sports Friends is all about.
• Praise God for the safety of our team with attacks becoming more frequent here.
• Pray for clear guidance and open doors for ministry in this new Sports Friends field.
• Pray for God to speak to the local church on who to encourage to become a coach.
• Pray for the team we have begun coaching, and for Jesus to open their eyes during Ramadan.
• Praise God for a smooth transition of Camp Langano to our Ethiopian church partner.
• Praise God for a “Making of Disciples” course in May presented by Jill which was prepared for 27 coaches and volunteers. We pray that it will have a great impact in our coaches’ lives.
• Praise God for the privilege He gives us to serve Him.
• Pray for the youth that will be attending camps this summer. Pray that God would open their hearts to understand His love for them and use their time at camp to deepen their relationships with their coaches.
• Pray for a first aid training program being run for some of our Ethiopian coaches.
• June 27 – July 27: Pray for the five-week Langano camping program.
• Pray that the Lord would raise up the right young people to come to camp this summer, and that many would give their lives to Jesus Christ. Pray for our camp staff, that God would give them wisdom and that they would be good role models during the camping season.
• Pray for all those who will come and serve at camps this summer. Pray for safety, and that their time would be a great blessing – both to them, and to those they serve.
• Praise God for the positive responses we have received around the Camper Scholarship Campaign. Pray that God would raise up many more scholarships throughout June and July for young people to attend camp: www.sports-friends.org/thecampaign
• Praise God for the first get together of SF team members based in the UK (Cat, Somchai, Jill and appointee Ben).
• We thank God for all there is to communicate about throughout the SF ministry, and for all those who help us to share stories around the world.
• Praise God for Dting’s work on the SF website, and all that he does behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly. Pray that God would give him continued joy and fulfilment in his role as our Web and IT Manager.
• Praise God for several short-term teams that God has provided to serve our staff and coaches in Kenya, Peru, Ethiopia, Malawi, Thailand, and Southeast Asia in the next couple of months
• Pray for Michelle as she shares with new missionary kids at the SIM training for new missionaries.
• Pray for Ben and Somchai with their final SIM UK membership interviews coming up soon.
• July 14: Pray for a SIM UK mobilization event today where Sports Friends is leading a seminar on making disciples where Christ is least known through sports. Pray that many inquirers will attend.
• July 1-Aug 27: Bryan and Josh will be working with short-term teams in Ethiopia and Thailand. Please pray that God would give them wisdom and help them to be a blessing and encouragement not only to the short-term teams they are leading, but also to the staff in those countries.
• Pray for all the logistics to fall into place as we will be sending teams to various locations. Pray for traveling mercies and that all of our youth, coaches, short-term teams, and staff remain healthy while we do ministry together.
• Pray for the SF communications team; for wisdom and creativity, and that they would seek to give glory to God for all that He is doing through the SF ministry around the world.
• Pray for Bob as he raises support to join the International Support Services team as a graphic designer. We’re excited to have him join the team!
• Praise God for all the great things He has done in the last couple of months.
• Praise God for a team from Hope College who served with us in May. The team was a huge blessing and encouragement to our SF staff and coaches.
• Pray for several phase one Coaches Trainings this month. Pray that those who attend will develop their skills and grow in their passion for sports ministry!
• July 23-26: Pray for a phase 2 coaches training.
• Praise God that of the 350 trained coaches in Malawi, 50% are women reaching girls
• Praise God for the successful training we had with STUM.
• Praise God for the successful training we had with BACOMA.
• Praise God for the successful trip Fostance had to the USA.
• Pray for the short-term team from the UK heading to Malawi in August as they prepare and raise funds for the trip.
• June 6: Pray for Zomba who will be vision sharing with EBCM.
• June 15-16: Pray for Fostance doing follow up with top denominational leaders and their sports coordinators.
• 18-21 July: Pray for a netball coaching training.
• 22-25 July: Pray for a Lilongwe basic training in AEC.
• 25-28 July: Pray for a Basic training in Phalambo EBCM.
• 14 July: Pray for the Sports Friends Malawi fasting day this weekend. Pray that the wisdom of God and the guidance of the Holy Spirit would lead our team, and that they would be greatly blessed by their time together.
• Pray for the Helwig Family as they welcome their first child this month and begin preparations to return to Niger.
• Pray for the coaches to have oportunities to speak into the lives of their players and their families during this season of Ramadan when teams don’t meet.
• Praise God for protecting Icy during his trips to Gindiri Theological Seminary to lecture there.
• Praise God for the coordinators’ retreat in Jos last month.
• Praise God for a successful Basic Training with the Fellowship of Christian Students.
• Praise God for new churches who are using sports for discipleship.
• Praise God for rescuing Moses from a deadly accident on his way to a meeting with the executives of NKST.
• Praise God for the successful arrival and departure of Kyle from Nigeria.
• June 3-31: Pray for follow up with RCC.
• June 9-10: Pray for a certificate presentation and follow up.
• June 14-16: Pray for a Basic Training with RCC.
• June 20-23: Pray for a Coaches Training with RCC.
• June 22-23: Pray for follow up taking place over these two days.
• June 25-30: Pray for a Basic Training.
• July: Pray for a Vision Conference.
• Pray for wisdom as we hope to sign an MOU with NKST leaders.
• Pray for the RCC coordinator who is presently planning for a Basic Training.
• July 13 – 14: Pray for a teaching on discipleship.
• Pray for all of our staff and denominational coordinators to continue to work well together for the development of sports ministry in our country.
• June 1-2: Pray for a visit to the mountains for vision sharing with the leaders of our Denominational Partnership. Please pray for Jhon and Matt, that they may effectively share the vision and build good relationships and trust.
• June 14-23: Pray for the Peru Epic Trip, that it would be an encouraging time for all and a great opportunity for the guests to learn about sports ministry in the context of Peru. Pray also for safety and health for the team going to Cuzco and the Inca Trail
• July 2 - 4: Pray for the SF Peru Retreat, that it would be a good time for team connection and unity.
• July 21: Pray for a soccer clinic, that the players would be strengthened in their relationship with God, hear God’s truth and accept it, and have fun with the team, coaches and other players.
• July 29: Pray for Matt, our intern, as he returns to England. Pray that God would continue to work in his heart and life, guiding him in the next steps and continuing to use his time in Peru to impact His walk with God.
• July - Pray for Jill as she travels to Lima, to support and provide some training for the SF Peru team.
• Pray for David and Jeremie as they plan for 2 overnight camps to happen sometime in late June/early July. Pray for all who will be involved in each of these camps; particularly that the message and love of Jesus would clearly go forth into the hearts of the young people.
• Pray for the Sadio Family as they continue to wait on a US green card. Pray for David and Jeremie in Senegal as they keep the SF ministry going in the meantime.
• Praise God for all the volunteer coaches who attended the Advanced Coaching Course in May. It was great to see how much they care about the lives of the kids they coach.
• Praise God for our Discipleship Camp in April. For the first time, we ran a smaller camp aimed at Christian players along the theme of ‘One Jesus Christ’. It was a great success!
• Praise God for the long-term and deep impact that the Sports Friends ministry has had in Thailand over the last 10 years there. We praise the Lord that many young people have come to faith through sports ministry!
• Pray for our coaches, that they would be intentional about building deeper relationships and living out the gospel.
• Praise Jesus for the friendships that are deepening with many of the parents of the boys and girls on our teams. Praise God that He is teaching us so many things through our refugee neighbors -- their hospitality and kindness towards our family has made us feel so welcomed and loved.
• Pray that the Holy Spirit would give us His eyes when we are with our refugee neighbors. Several times we’ve been able to share of the hope that’s within us. Please pray that the Holy Spirit would take the blinders off of our friends’ eyes.