Since 1893, SIM's motto has been "By Prayer." By prayer, SIM and its many ministries have seen God do amazing and marvelous things—thousands of new churches planted, millions coming to faith in Jesus Christ and growing as His disciples, and communities all over the world transformed by God's grace.
People often think of prayer as something we do before we begin ministry. However, we believe that prayer is a ministry by itself. Our vision and hearts' desire is to ultimately see many thousands of churches in Africa, Asia, and South America using the platform of sports to touch millions of lives with the love of Jesus Christ.
Download the App, then select Sports Friends in ‘My Tracks’ to receive a prayer request each day Monday - Friday.
• Praise God for the Sierra Family’s new baby girl, and that their 4 boys have adapted well to their new sister!
• Praise God for His provision and for open doors to begin sports ministry in this new field.
• Praise God for our first coach in Burkina Faso! Pray that he would be filled with courage as he gets ready to start a team, and that he would continue to grow in the Lord.
• Pray for security issues in Burkina Faso as attacks become more frequent. Please pray for the safety of all our team here.
• Praise God for all the young people who have come to camp this summer so far, and for all those who have given their lives to Christ.
• Praise God for all those who came to serve at camp this summer. We thank God that their time was a great blessing!
• Praise God for the First Aid Training which 20 of our camp staff were able to complete.
• Pray for all the youth who attended camp in July. Pray that those who gave their lives to Christ would continue to be discipled and grow in their love of the Lord!
• Praise God for recent opportunities to share about the Sports Friends ministry. Pray that the Lord would raise up many new partners to join us in this work!
• Praise God for the SIM UK mobilization event where Sports Friends led a seminar on making disciples where Christ is least known through sports. Pray that God would continue to work in the hearts of all those who attended.
• Praise God for several short-term teams who have been serving with us over the summer. They have brought much joy and encouragement to our staff and volunteers, reminding them that they are not alone as they seek to share God’s Good News!
• Pray for God’s wisdom and leading for the working groups addressing Sports Friends’ 6 ministry priorities which were identified in the January leadership meetings — ministry depth, leadership development, capacity building, expansion, child safety, and broader collaboration with SIM.
• Pray for the International Support Services team as they meet to complete their Annual Plan in September. Pray that God would lead and guide them as they seek to give glory to Him in the coming year!
• Pray that our communications team would be filled with creativity, and be good stewards in sharing what God is doing around the world through our various platforms.
• Please pray for Bryan as she will be traveling in Southeast Asia throughout the month of August. Pray for a great time of ministry as a short-term team will be working alongside Sports Friends there during this month.
• Pray for Bryan as she returns to work in the office in September after traveling abroad for two months. She will still need to travel a great deal domestically for work this month.
• Pray for Bob as he raises support to join the International Support Services team as a graphic designer. We’re excited to have him join the team!
• Praise God for a great Coaches Training. Pray that those coaches who attended will continue to develop their skills and grow in their passion for sports ministry!
• August 14: Join us in praying for a Coaches Training this week.
• Pray for all the youth who will attend camp at the end of August. Pray that God would open their hearts to understand His love for them and use their time at camp to deepen their relationships with their coaches.
• September: Pray for wisdom as we work on our Annual Plan this month. Pray that God would lead and guide us in all that we do!
• Praise God for camps in June for youth with physical disabilities. We’re so thankful that many youth were able to experience the love and joy of Christ, many for the first time!
• Praise God for two short-term teams who were able to come and serve with us at camp this summer. They were a great encouragement and blessing!
• Pray for church leaders to catch the vision for sports ministry as a tool to reach areas of Kenya where few have heard the name of Jesus.
• Praise God for the successful netball Coaches Training we held in July. Pray that these coaches would have boldness in sharing the gospel with the girls on their teams.
• Praise God for the time we had with 50 pastors from our partner denominations in June. It was great to hear what the Lord is doing through this ministry, and encourage them to keep going.
• 4 August: Join us in praying for a safe journey today for a team from the UK who are coming to help with our summer camps. Pray that God would bless our time together!
• 6-10 August: Pray for a netball camp this week in the eastern region of Malawi.
• 13 -17 August: Pray for football camp in the Nsanje District of Malawi.
• 21-24 August: Pray for Coaching Trainings in the eastern region of Malawi.
• 29 -1 September: Pray for a Basic Training this week.
• 3-6 September: Pray for a Basic Training in the eastern region this week.
• 13-16 September: Pray for our prayer and planning retreat. Pray that the wisdom of God and the guidance of the Holy Spirit would lead our team.
• Pray for the Helwigs to be able to raise the rest of their support as they prepare to return to Niger this month with their new baby girl.
• Praise God for a successful season of Coaches Trainings and Basic Trainings.
• Praise God for an encouraging meeting with student pastors from a theological seminary who have been trained in sports ministry.
• 1-4 August: Pray for a combined Basic Training for members of two church denominations. Pray that God would raise up the right coaches to attend.
• 9-12 August: Pray for the Sports Friends team as we facilitate a camp and vision sharing this week.
• 15-18 August: Pray for us as we follow up with coaches in the Northeast of Nigeria, and encourage them to continue in the ministries God has called them to.
• 23-26 August: Pray for our Sports Friends team as we share the vision of sports ministry. Pray that many churches would catch the vision for sports as a tool to reach the youth of Nigeria!
• Pray for courage, wisdom, and God's protection for our coaches in troubled areas. Pray that God would grant them the strength to stand firm in their faith and continue coaching their sports ministry teams.
• Pray for God's comfort, protection, and provision for all those who lost loved ones and property as a result of recent attacks. Pray for forgiveness in the hearts of those who have suffered.
• 4-5 August: Praise God for our relationship with the IEP denomination which is creating more opportunities to share the Sports Friends vision with churches here in Perú.
• Please pray for Jhon and Erico as they travel to the mountainous region of Puno to share the vision of sports ministry with church leaders there.
• Pray for Erico and Claudia as they enter their new full-time roles as Trainers/Mentors, and that God would be leading and teaching them as they walk alongside coaches and pastors.
• Please pray for Paris and Lindsay as they welcome their first child into the world (due the 14 August) and that God would give them wisdom, energy and joy as parents.
• 29 September: Pray for an Ongoing Coaching Training. Pray for a great opportunity for the coaches and our team as we all continue to learn how to lead church-centered sports ministry teams for God’s glory.
• Pray for our Sports Friends Perú team as we walk through a new season and another transition. Pray for unity, grace, patience, and flexibility for everyone on the team.
• 6-9 August: Pray for a 3-day overnight camp in the south. Pray for safety as our Sports Friends Senegal staff and several coaches travel from the north on Aug 5th to help with this camp. Pray especially that the message and love of Jesus would be clearly communicated to the youth who will attend camp with their coaches!
• Pray for those teams that will stop meeting over the new few months so that their families can work in the fields and harvest crops as the rainy season comes to an end. Pray that coaches will be intentional in continuing to disciple and develop relationships with the youth and their families during this time.
• Pray for the Sadio Family as they continue to wait on a US green card. Pray for David and Jeremie in Senegal as they keep the SF ministry going in the meantime.
• Praise God for all our coaches in Thailand, and the long-term and deep impact that they are having as they build relationships and live out the gospel.
• Praise God for a team from Messiah College that will be joining us in Udonthani from 17-19 August, and then continuing on to a restricted access country afterwards. Please pray for safety, and that their time would be a great encouragement.
• Pray for a Coaches Training from 27-30 August with the Thai Karen church in Mae Hong Son. Pray that these coaches will grow in their passion for sports ministry, and use what they learn to support sports ministry teams in their local churches. Pray that the Lord would give wisdom and strength to the Sports Friends Thailand team as they facilitate this training.
• Pray for our Pre-Season Training with key ministry leaders and coaches from many areas around Thailand. Please pray for a great time of fellowship and prayer, and that we would encourage these coaches to continue serving the Lord through sports ministry.
• Pray for the Thailand team as we make our Annual Plan. Pray for wisdom as we consider how best to support the local church over the coming year.
• Praise God for deeper connections with World Relief as we begin to form a training partnership.
• Praise God for the team of 20-30 youth who we are coaching in the park a couple of days a week, and all those who have volunteered to join our support team!
• Praise God for deepening friendships with many of the refugee parents of the youth on our teams. Their hospitality and kindness towards our family has made us feel so welcomed.
• Pray for us as we try to build deeper connections with the refugee men in our community.