Since 1893, SIM's motto has been "By Prayer." By prayer, SIM and its many ministries have seen God do amazing and marvelous things—thousands of new churches planted, millions coming to faith in Jesus Christ and growing as His disciples, and communities all over the world transformed by God's grace.
People often think of prayer as something we do before we begin ministry. However, we believe that prayer is a ministry by itself. Our vision and hearts' desire is to ultimately see many thousands of churches in Africa, Asia, and South America using the platform of sports to touch millions of lives with the love of Jesus Christ.
Download the App, then select Sports Friends in ‘My Tracks’ to receive a prayer request each day Monday - Friday.
• Praise God that slowly more people are becoming interested in using sports as a tool for ministry.
• Praise God for the school year starting up soon which brings more young people from the village for schooling.
• Praise God for how He is gracefully opening doors for conversations about Christ because of the terrorism here.
• Pray for safety for our team in Burkina Faso.
• Pray for our first coach as he is getting his team together. Pray for strength, guidance, and courage from the Lord.
• Pray for another person from our church who wants to be trained in sports ministry once he finishes his exams in October.
• Pray for more contacts with church leaders who would catch the vision for church-centered sports ministry.
• Praise God for a great summer camping season. Many young people came to the Lord through these camps!
• Praise God that we were able to provide Basic Trainings for almost 50 new coaches. Pray for these coaches to be light and salt as they return to start sports ministry teams in their communities.
• Praise God for our Level IV semi-annual meeting. It was a precious time of fellowship, worship, and encouraging one another.
• Pray that God would help us to provide the Level IV training for our new coordinators. Pray that He would help the participants to understand sports ministry and implement it in their churches back home.
• Pray for some of our coaching staff who will be attending a Sports Friends training this month. Pray that they would have an encouraging time and a safe journey.
• Pray for peace in Ethiopia, where ethnic clashes and protests continue.
• Pray for God to give us wisdom as we make ministry plans for the next 12 months.
• Praise God for the Disciple Making Training courses delivered in Kenya, Ethiopia, Malawi, and Nigeria during the first half of this year. Pray that these trainings will encourage and inspire coaches to make disciples with the young people in their teams.
• Praise God that Bob has been able to begin serving with us part-time as a graphic designer. Pray that the Lord would raise up the rest of his support!
• Pray for SIM UK appointee, Ben, as he starts full-time study at Oak Hill Bible School and prayerfully considers locations for future service with Sports Friends.
• Pray for the annual planning process that is currently happening throughout the ministry.
• Pray for God’s wisdom and leading for the working groups addressing Sports Friends’ 6 ministry priorities which were identified in the January leadership meetings — ministry depth, leadership development, capacity building, expansion, child safety, and broader collaboration with SIM.
• Oct 22-23: Pray for Michelle as she meets with members of the SIM Australia team to talk about communications and mobilization.
• Pray for our upcoming year-end giving campaign, that many would feel compelled to get involved with the Sports Friends ministry.
• Pray that our communications team would be filled with creativity, and be good stewards in sharing what God is doing around the world through our various platforms.
• Pray for Dting as he manages and maintains our website, and helps the Thai team with various communications needs.
• Pray for Cat as she manages the communications team spread out across various countries and time zones. Pray that God would help to her to lead with wisdom and grace.
• October 8-12: Pray for Bryan as she represents Sports Friends at Liberty University’s upcoming missions festival. Pray that many students would catch the vision for sports ministry!
• Pray for Bryan as she begins working with church and college partners to evaluate potential short-term teams for 2019.
• Pray for Bryan and Josh as they work on raising more support so that Josh can start his new role with SIM.
• Praise God for taking Ben through semester one of his Masters program successfully, and that he has recovered from severe malaria.
• Praise God for taking Josiah through a Basic Theology course with the Good News Bible Training program.
• Thank God for a successful Phase II Coaches Training. Pray that these coaches would be the hands and feet of Jesus in their communities.
• Praise God for some fruitful meetings with church leaders in Tamale. Pray that they would continue to be excited about sports as a tool for ministry.
• Please join us in praying for a Phase I Coaches Training in the last week of October.
• Oct 15-16: Pray for a meeting this week with the local Council of Churches.
• Pray for a Basic Training for Pentecost churches in the first week of November.
• Nov 15: Pray for a meeting with our sports ministry coordinators.
• Pray for our Sports Friends Ghana team as we follow up with coaches and coordinators across the country. Pray that we would be a great encouragement to all those we visit!
• Pray for church leaders to catch the vision for sports ministry as a tool to reach areas of Kenya where few have heard the name of Jesus.
• Oct 3-6: Pray for our Sports Friends Kenya staff as they attend a three-day training. Pray for understanding as many different cultures will be attending and contributing.
• Pray that God would grant us the wisdom and insight to effectively carry out His ministry in Kenya, and to plan well for the year ahead.
• Praise God for two successful summer camps for girls and boys in August. Pray for these young people as they head back to their families and reflect on all that they experienced at camp.
• Praise God for a short-term team from the UK and the US who were able to serve alongside us at camp. They were a great encouragement!
• Pray for three of our team who are going to attend a Sports Friends Coaches Training. Pray that it would be a great time of learning and encouragement.
• Nov 16-18: Pray for the Sports Friends Malawi family retreat. Pray that it would be a wonderful time of rest and fellowship together.
• Praise God for the safe return of the Helwig family to Niger. Pray that they would settle back into life and ministry quickly.
• Pray for Jeremy as he reconnects with coaches after being away for a year. Pray that there would be many new open doors for sports ministry in Niger!
• Praise God for a great summer camping season in Nigeria. We thank the Lord that many young people came to know Him!
• Praise God for a successful vision sharing with the national youth convention. Pray that they would be excited to use sports as a tool for reaching young people!
• Praise God for a successful basketball camp in Jos.
• Praise God for our Sports Friends Nigeria staff. Pray that He would continue to protect and unite them.
• Oct 3-6: Pray for a Basic Training – that God would raise up the right people to come along!
• Pray for Andrew as he delivers a Sports Friends Coaches Training here, and for all those who will travel to attend.
• Pray that God would grant us wisdom as we carry out our annual planning for the next 12 months.
• Nov 20-23: Pray for our first Discipleship Training.
• Pray for basketball clinics in November.
• Pray for the safety of our staff and coordinators as we travel through difficult areas for trainings, meetings, and following up with coaches.
• Oct 6: Praise God for the opportunity to bring several of our church-centered teams together for a soccer tournament hosted by one of the local churches.
• Oct 8 & 26-28: Pray for several workshops we will lead in order to continue sharing the vision of sports ministry with our denominational partnership. There are over 3,000 churches nationwide, so the vision sharing never stops!
• Nov. 11-14: Pray for our team as they head to the mountains for a meeting with pastors in one of our key regions where we will be focusing on training the local church in sports ministry.
• Pray that our Sports Friends Perú team would work well together and support one another, having patience through this season of change.
• Praise God that the Sadio family finally received an interview appointment for a US green card on Oct 17 in Philadelphia. Pray for peace and clarity of speech in this interview.
• Pray for the Senegal team as they draft ministry plans for this coming year. Sports clubs throughout the country pause during the rainy season, which ends in October, so pray they will begin starting up again regularly in November.
• Pray for the coaches to be committed and intentional as they train and disciple the young people in their teams.
• Pray for each young person who made a personal decision to follow Christ during the recent summer camps. Pray for courage to remain true to this decision, for God’s protection over them, and for their understanding of who God is and His love for them to grow. Pray for the coaches who play an integral role in discipling them, especially during this time.
• Oct 8: Pray for the Sports Friends Thailand team as they make preparations for a camp next week. Pray for strength and energy to run the camp well, and that everybody will be strong and healthy.
• Oct 17-21: Pray for a residential camp with the Thai Karen Baptist denomination this week. Pray for a great time together and a safe environment where coaches can share their life and faith with the young people on their teams.
• Oct 23-25: Pray for meetings with the Thailand Lahu Baptist Convention. Pray that we could build good relationships with their leaders, and that they would keep their vision for sports ministry.
• Pray for our Sports Friends Thailand team to prepare and plan well for the new fiscal year budget. Pray for wisdom as they plan for the ministry in each area.