Since 1893, SIM's motto has been "By Prayer." By prayer, SIM and its many ministries have seen God do amazing and marvelous things—thousands of new churches planted, millions coming to faith in Jesus Christ and growing as His disciples, and communities all over the world transformed by God's grace.
People often think of prayer as something we do before we begin ministry. However, we believe that prayer is a ministry by itself. Our vision and hearts' desire is to ultimately see many thousands of churches in Africa, Asia, and South America using the platform of sports to touch millions of lives with the love of Jesus Christ.
Download the App, then select Sports Friends in ‘My Tracks’ to receive a prayer request each day Monday - Friday.
• We give thanks to God for providing a wife for Zinabu! Pray that she will feel accepted into the Langano community.
• Oct 23-27: Please pray that our denominational coordinators’ meeting would be productive and that we can continue to develop our camping program.
• Nov: Pray for all of our off-season outreach within the local community. Pray that it would be fruitful and impact the youth here.
• Praise God for 8 great weeks of camp this summer at Camp Langano! We praise God for his protection over all the youth, and thank Him for the many who trusted in Christ through this amazing time of ministry.
• Praise God for all of our camp staff who have given much of themselves sacrificially to serve the youth at camp this summer.
• Praise God for His great protection of the SF ministry in Ethiopia. We give thanks for how he has helped and led us as we have sought to do the work He has laid before us in 2017.
• We give thanks for a recent Basic Training for 55 participants. We praise God for this time of training!
• Oct 5-7, 12-14, 19-21: Pray for Basic Trainings that we will facilitate on these dates. Please pray that God would help us to accomplish all these trainings in a comprehensive way, that the participants would understand the ministry and implement it in their respective churches.
• Oct 23-27: Pray for our semi-annual meeting with all of the Level IV Sports Ministry Coordinators that will be held at Camp Langano. Please pray that God would grant everyone traveling mercies, and a wonderful time of worship and fellowship together.
• Oct: Pray for us as we are in the midst of annual planning for 2018. Please pray that God would give us His vision for the new fiscal year and would help us to see unreached areas.
• Nov 9-11, 16-18, 23-25: Pray for Basic Trainings that we will facilitate on these dates.
• Pray as we seek to hire a new staff member to help with training. Please pray that God would give us wisdom to find the right person who has a compassionate heart for this ministry.
• We are developing a new pilot project which should help us to expand sports ministry within Ethiopia. Please pray that God would raise up strong coaches and leadership to begin this work.
• Praise God for the many people who pray and financially support the Sports Friends ministry. Pray that God would raise up additional partners to support our continuing growth.
• Praise God for all of the short-termers that served with us this year. We are so grateful for each of them, and for how God has challenged and encouraged them while serving with us.
• Praise God for Dting’s work on the SF website, and all that he does behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.
• Praise God for a volunteer who will be helping us out at the Int’l office.
• Pray that the Lord will add more workers for His harvest and fill the many openings we have to serve with Sports Friends around the world.
• Pray for an upcoming meeting that we will be having in Atlanta to share with more individuals and churches about the ministry of Sports Friends.
• Pray for our communications team as they seek to creatively share all that God is doing through the Sports Friends ministry around the world.
• Pray for Cat and Somchai as they prepare to transition to the UK by the end of this year.
• Pray for Jill as she works with SIM-UK on mobilizing for SF from the UK, both with individuals and short-term teams.
• Pray for Jill as she completes final edits to the Disciple Making Manual and future translation work.
• Oct: Pray that God would give Bryan wisdom and discernment as she spends time setting annual goals for the upcoming year.
• Pray for wisdom for Bryan and Michelle as they strategically look at visiting various conferences and schools that would present good recruiting opportunities for SF.
• Pray for opportunities that we have to work with various church partners during the upcoming year.
• Please pray for Courtney who is a new recruit with Sports Friends for the financial position we have available. Pray that God would lead her in this process.
• Pray for Michelle as she works on collecting and editing our annual reports.
• Pray for Michelle as she continues to work on social media and the blog. Pray that God would use these stories as an encouragement.
• Pray for creativity as we work on producing the SF Year-End Giving Campaign.
• Praise God for the successful follow-ups that our team has done in the last 2 months.
• We thank God for recent opportunities for Ongoing Trainings that went well.
• Praise God for a wonderful Denominational Coordinators Training that happened in September.
• Oct 1-15: Pray that God would give us wisdom as we work on annual planning for the new fiscal year.
• Oct 7: Pray for an Ongoing Training in Bolga.
• Oct 14: Pray for an Ongoing Training in Navrongo.
• Oct 21: Pray for meetings with the Bishara Missions Baptist leadership and the AG Regional
leaders in Tamale.
• Nov 2-5: Pray for a denominational coordinator follow-up meeting and a Training of Trainers in Accra.
• Oct 24-25: Pray for visits that our team will make with denominational partners during these days.
• Oct 1: Pray for two Basic Trainings that are taking place at Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya. Seven (entire) churches that were planted through sports ministry in South Sudan are now all refugees at Kakuma.
• Oct 8-10: Pray for us as we host a Baseball Stakeholders Meeting. Pray for wisdom as we look to move forward with Baseball in Kenya.
• Oct 10-12: Pray for a Basic Training taking place with Full Gospel Churches of Kenya.
• Oct 17th: Pray for peaceful Kenya elections. The previous Kenyan election results were voided by the Supreme Court and a new round of presidential elections was scheduled.
• Oct 31 - Nov 3: Pray for our first Basic Training with Agape Christian Fellowship, a new denominational partner.
• Nov 28-29: Pray for our Sports Ministry Gathering with the Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK). Pray that it will be encouraging for the ACK sports ministry leaders and that we will be able to plan effectively for the coming years.
• We praise God that through the ministry of Sports Friends, many people have become Christians and joined the body of Christ.
• We thank God for the coaches that are working hard in their communities to share the gospel, which is the power of salvation to those who believe.
• We thank God for new believers who joined the church through the SF ministry in the eastern region of Malawi.
• We thank God for the fruitful time of prayer and planning we had during the end of September.
• Oct 5: Pray for Fostance and Berhanu as they travel to Lilongwe for the signing of a MOU with the Baptist Convention Church.
• Oct 11 and 18: Please pray for Chisomo as she travels to Blantyre to follow up with sports ministry teams.
• Nov 4: Pray for our SF Malawi Day of Prayer and Fasting in Blantyre.
• Nov 17-19: Pray for the SF Malawi team as they come together for their annual retreat with denominational coordinators and their families.
• Praise God for the faithfulness of a group of coaches who are working with a large group of young people, coaching several different sports teams.
• Pray for one of the young people on a soccer team who has recently begun attending some church services and even a few evening Bible studies. Pray that his heart would be open to the truth and that he would have courage to follow it!
• Pray for some coaches who have shown interest in taking part in a basic discipleship course. Pray that we can find good materials for this opportunity.
• October: Pray for many of the coaches and players who are in the midst of harvest and are taking a break from their teams to work the fields.
• Praise God for the camps that we had in Jos Jarawara and Nassarawa in August of this year with two of our church partners. The camps were a big success with many youth in attendance.
• Praise God for the Ecwa Church tournament that we had in August of this year in Jos. There were 120 youth present!
• Praise God for a Basic Training in the Bauchi state in September.
• Praise God for the many new believers that gave their lives to Christ during August through the Sports Friends ministry, as well as many more that recommitted their lives to walking with the Lord.
• Praise God for a successful basketball camp in Jos where we saw several young people give their lives to Christ.
• We thank God for John’s safe trip to Ghana as he went to partner with our SF team there.
• We praise God for all the follow-up trips that we have been able to do during this season.
• Oct 3: Pray for a basketball clinic with a new denomination (United Methodist Church of Nigeria) that we will be having today.
• Oct 5-8: Pray for a safe journey to Katsina state as we follow-up with some of the EMS missionaries there.
• Oct 12-14: Pray for our first Basic Training with the UMCA church in Kontagora, Niger state.
• Oct 14-30: Pray for a primary school basketball clinic in Jos.
• Oct 26-29: Pray a safe journey to Nasarawa state as we follow-up with some of the EMS missionaries there.
• Oct 29-Nov 1: Pray for a camp in Kaduna.
• Nov 7-10: Pray for our women’s Basic Training in Kaduna.
• We’re giving thanks for the fruit that we are already seeing from a Basic Training with the IEP in August. Over 75% of the newly-trained coaches have already met with their church leadership and started church-centered sports ministry teams in their communities! Praise God!
• Oct & Nov: Pray for Paris and Lindsay as they go on their Home Assignment to the U.S. for October and November. Please pray for good training, visits with people, rest, and for God to provided their financial support.
• Please continue to pray for Erico and Claudia as they settle into life in Lima and learn the language and culture.
• Pray for Chuck and Jhon as they do follow-up with all the coaches around Peru. May God give them listening ears, hearts to serve, ideas in how to support the churches while blessing them with fruitful visits to the various ministries.
• Oct: Pray for the SF clubs in Senegal as the youth start back with their teams.
• Pray that the coaches would have wisdom and discernment as they intentionally build and strengthen relationships with kids who are involved in their clubs throughout this year.
• Pray for each and every young person who will be a part of these clubs. Pray that God would be preparing and opening their hearts even now to see and believe in Him.
• Pray for David and Jeremie as they continue to lead the ministry while the Sadios are on Home Assignment. Pray specifically for wisdom as they determine with whom and where to do Vision Sharing.
• Please pray for David and Jeremie as they seek to find a good place to do an upcoming Basic Training with around 30 new potential coaches from the Philadelphia Denomination.
• Oct 5-12: Pray for the Basic Training we will have with the Phayao Bible Seminary and for Ning as he leads this team. Pray that God will use sports ministry as an effective tool in the Bible school. Pray that God will give us a good relationship with the teachers there.
• Oct 5-8: Pray for a Vision Sharing in Korat, South East Thailand. Pray for Pbeemai who will be leading during this sharing and that God gives him wisdom and vision to impart to the leaders there. Pray that God will create a strong network and good relationships there.
• Oct: 12-14: Pray for follow-up at Nong Khai, North East Thailand where we will hold a soccer tournament. Pray that God will use sports as a platform to reach young people with the gospel. Pray that God will open doors for coaches to share their lives with the youth. Pray for good opportunities for coaches to build sports ministry networks in that area.
• Oct 18-20: Pray for a residential camp that we have coming up with the TKBC. Please pray for the coaches who will bring the kids to camp, and that God will open the door for the youth to know Him. Pray for the coaches as they seek to lead, live, minister and coach for the glory of Christ during camp. Please pray for a good safe environment at camp and for the team to have energy and wisdom that will lead the camp.
• Oct: Pray for follow-up in Bangkok. Pray that God will open doors for the local church to use sports ministry to reach the young people.
• Pray for the ministry in Chiang Dao. They will be organizing and hosting a camp by themselves. Pray that God will strengthen the leaders and give them wisdom and energy as they serve at the camp. Pray for the youth to grow in Christ through this ministry.
• Oct 27-29: Pray for TKBC sports ministry network that will run referee training at Mae Hong Son. Pray for coaches who will come to this training and that they will be able to effectively lead their soccer team. Pray that God will give them wisdom to learn the rules of soccer.
• Nov: Pray for a Basic Training with the TKBC at Kanchanaburi, West Thailand and for our team as they prepare to lead. Pray that God would send leaders that are ready to serve as sports ministry coaches in their local church.
• Pray for Somchai and Cat as they prepare to move from Thailand to England. Pray that God will lead them and guide them as they prepare to serve with Sports Friends from a UK base.
• God has assembled a team of 10 people from local churches within Sacramento that will be joining the outreach into the refugee community that our SF team will be leading. This is a good door for the Voights to join the community, and they are eager to connect with the Afghan population there.
• God has provided a wonderful house for the Voights to rent, right in the middle of the refugee population! We see this as such a gift from the Lord and we feel it's exactly the right spot for strategic Sports Friends work.
• Sep 29-Oct 16: Pray the Voight’s upcoming vision-casting trip. It will be a long journey. Please pray that God will arrange divine appointments for them.
• Pray that the Holy Spirit would soften the hearts of the Afghan community. We know that heart transformation is something that God alone can do. Please pray for the Voight’s as they seek to be His ambassadors.
• Pray for the initial vision sharing meetings in Sacramento with churches and leaders in the city over the next 4 months. Please join us in asking the Lord to help for the Voights to make the right connections and to guide SF to people who are passionate about Church-Centered Sports Ministry.
• Nov. 4: Pray for a training that the Voights will be attending with World Relief Good Neighbor. The Voights will be leading a team of 10 people through this group. They feel strongly that the Lord wants to use this organization as a way for them to connect with the refugee community in Sacramento. The team will pick up the refugee families from the airport and walk with them in every way for the first 6 months of their life in the USA. Hopefully this will also make good connection points for partnership with World Relief and SF in the future.